At some point, I decided that I wanted something unexpected and different for the mirror in the new bathroom. I had been looking at mirrors designed for the bathroom and nothing really excited me. I decided to look at mirrors not really meant for the bathroom instead.
After looking at dozens of websites, I found a scalloped, frameless mirror on One Kings Lane. I looked it up with Google Images and was thrilled to see that I could order the mirror through Horchow. Between getting a percentage back through Ebates and a 25% off bed and bath sale, I got a great deal on the mirror.
When the box arrived, I was thrilled to see that the mirror was from right here in Virginia. This is the second time I have ordered something from Horchow and the item has been made in the Commonwealth. This mirror was from Bassett Mirror Company (not the same as Bassett Furniture, which someone commented has moved production abroad when I considered a bed by them). My china cabinet was the other piece and it was made by Pulaski Furniture.
So the mirror didn't come with much documentation. There was a sticker on the back saying to use anchors that could hold 100 pounds and that was pretty much it. The mirror weighs about 20 pounds, but I am totally the type of person to use a 100 pound hanger for a 20 pound mirror. I approve of their cautiousness.
One of the reviews I read of the mirror said it was hard to hang straight because of the odd shape. I decided to make a template with kraft paper to get it right.
I traced the mirror and then used the side of a pencil to mark where I'd need to drill for the anchors.
I folded the paper to mark the center horizontally and to show where the hangers would be. Then, I used a laser level to hang the paper on the wall in the right. A traditional level helped double check the placement.
While I love my power tools, I am always a little nervous using my drill when I need to use a large drill bit (the drywall anchors called for a 5/16 drill bit). I've had to fill my share of incorrectly placed holes, so I usually start with a tiny bit and then slowly move up in size until I get to the big one. It takes a little longer, but patching a hole and waiting for things to dry takes even longer.
Anyway, using my baby steps drilling method, we arrived at this point in about 5 minutes:
We're closer to being done with the room every day. We're expecting to hear from the glass company this week and that will complete the shower!