If you're a dog person, you probably understand why some couples have their dogs in their weddings. It makes sense to many of us...the relationship between a dog and owner is about unconditional love, companionship, taking care of each other (the smaller the dog, the more seriously they take this role, it seems), and dependability.
I can always count on Baxter to greet me like he hasn't seen me in a month at the front door, to put a paw on my knee or hook it around my wrist if he senses that I'm sad or upset, and to snuggle up next to me when I'm lonely.
Baxter knows he can count on me to open my arms wide to greet him, even if I've only gone to the store for 20 minutes, comfort him during a thunderstorm, and snuggle him up if he has done anything remotely cute (there's a lot of snuggling around here).
When we thought about having Baxter at our wedding, here are some of the things we discussed:
- we'd have someone (yes, I just anthropromorphised) at our wedding who spends more time with us and knows us better than most.
- he goes with us everywhere, so it makes sense for him to be with us at our wedding
- he's cooler than most people and would probably be the most well behaved guest
- the photo opportunities would be charming (he's a pro at posing for photos)
- all of our friends love him (one of my colleagues even said he's more person than dog)
- he loves children and it's always heart warming to see him play with our nephews
Of course, there are some drawbacks:
- Baxter might be bored at a wedding (not likely...he likes people better than other dogs)
- Someone would have to serve as handler for the day
- The handler would miss some of the wedding to take Baxter home after the ceremony
- We love him so much, we might be distracted from spending time with our guests
I've been collecting pictures of dogs at weddings for months. I find them totally charming, but I'm not sure Baxter's destined to come to our wedding.
Where do you stand on the wedding dog issue?