Friday, February 12, 2010

Early review of spray spackle

Last month, you may recall that I had my old thermostat moved so space on a wall could be freed for a piece of art. Until this week, the hole left by the thermostat (huge because the builders put the thermostat in before mud was put on the walls) was covered by that art.



I decided to patch the spot this week. I've been doing this slowly since this is my busy season at work. I decided to give a new spray spackling product a try. So, here are my supplies:



I had my doubts about spraying spackle. The first pass was very messy, but that was my own fault...I applied it too heavily. I realized that the beauty of this stuff is that you can apply super thin layers of spackle. For the past couple nights, I've added a layer, feathered the edges out with the joint compound tool thingy up there in the picture, and let it dry.

Night 1:


Night 2:


I'll do one more coat tonight and then paint over the weekend. I have a feeling that I won't need to do too much sanding because the product goes on so lightly and smoothly. We'll see.

I also decided to see how it could do just covering a hole left by a toggle anchor (a little larger than the width of a pencil). I'll report back on Monday about that.
[Share to Pinterest]

2 comments:

  1. Looks good so far, good for you for taking the project on and fixing that big hole.

    Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks really promising! Your good - I probably would have left the hole behind the painting until I had to sell it.

    ReplyDelete

This comment format is not supported. Please refresh and use the Disqus box!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.