Did you float your floors?
Image from tinekhome
The flooring I selected can be glued down, floated, or nailed down. Nature Neutral recommended that the Chocolate Hickory be floated on my concrete sub floor. The laminate that was in here was floated, though the underlayer was a cheap sheet of foam that looked like packing material. I personally didn't notice problems with the floor in my day-to-day life, but I've heard that many people feel passionately that floating floors make a lot of noise and they move.
I got a little nervous last night and looked at the EcoTimber product that's going under my floors. Here's a little bit from the description:
- Pre-attached vapor barrier helps prevent water damage
- Reduces ambient noise and floor-to-ceiling sound transmission - outperforms cork and rubber in most Sound Transmission tests, at a lower cost
- Insulates cold floors
- Cushions floor, smoothes out subfloor imperfections
- Synthetic fibers disperse moisture away from wettest areas
- EPA-registered anti-microbial agent and high-temperature manufacture inhibit bacterial, fungal & dust mite growth
Image from Decorpad