Monday, September 21, 2009

Crafting crisis averted

When I was in my early 20s, during that period in time that comes after school when scores of people got married, I taught myself to make stationary. I made some pretty spectacular shower invitations with my stamps and embossing equipment. I was very proud of my personalized note cards and wax sealed envelopes. I was finally crafty like my old roommate, who was always cooking up nifty projects for the residents she supervised as a Resident Assistant. I even taught myself to crochet during this period, but the thrill was lost when the TSA confiscated my pink crochet hook before a post-9/11 flight. I had no idea blunt pieces of aluminum could incapacitate a flight crew and I had no intention of carrying such a dangerous weapon in the future.

The design blogging crowd is pretty crafty and they inspire me to try some things now and then. High Heeled Foot in the Door managed to recreate a set of striped drapes I've been lusting after since seeing them in Domino (rip) or Veranda a while back. She painted the stripes on simple, white drapes and provides step-by-step instructions for the project. I decided to give it a shot.

First, I bought a sample piece of fabric to test out the method. I taped off a stripe on my test fabric and went over it with Tulip's fabric spray paint.

Even lightly spraying the fabric led to paint bleeding through. A drop cloth was a must have. Plus, since I live in a community with standards about window treatments (ours have to show to the outside as white), it was clear that I'd be lining my final product.
As the stripe dried, it was looking good. Unfortunately, when I pulled the tape off, some of the paint had bleed through. I figured that Bullfrog tape would be necessary for the final project.

I painted another stripe and was happy with the outcome. On Sunday, I decided that I was ready for the real deal. I bought some simple, inexpensive grommet top drapery panels and started taping with the Bullfrog tape. I wanted wide stripes and taped off 8 inch segments.


The Bullfrog tape just wouldn't stay! No matter how hard I pressed, the tape did not adhere completely to the fabric. I looked at the panel. I remeasured. I used a straight edge to smooth the tape. I took a nap.

It just wasn't meant to be. I am not crafty. I can pick colors, paint, do electrical work, and basic plumbing, but I am not a crafter. I don't think I can force it any longer. If I want striped curtains, I'm going to have to have them made.

I managed to track down a fabric with 8 inch stripes after an hour of pouring over samples online. A swatch is on its way!
[Share to Pinterest]

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I'm glad you posted the link to this on decorpad. I haven't actually tried painting panels yet, although I planned to. I am definitely not crafty either, so I may need to rethink this :)

    ReplyDelete

This comment format is not supported. Please refresh and use the Disqus box!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.